Double Vision Editorial
Owner and Editorial Guru, 2008 – Present
- Provides various freelance editorial services for independent clients and publishing companies, nonprofits, websites, businesses, etcetera.
- Provides freelance content editing, copy editing, proofreading, and cold-reading services, as well as Reading Group Guide creation, for independent clients, St. Martin’s Press, Tor/Forge Books, Simon & Schuster, My Writers’ Connection, and other publishing houses.
- Provides editorial and quality assurance testing for apps and interactive e-books.
- Performs customized editorial work, publishing consultations, and original content creation upon request, including writing bios, blurbs, website copy, taglines, marketing materials, etcetera.
- Teaches creative writing one-on-one to grade-school and high school students, as well as leading online classes/panels for organizations such as Romance Writers of America.
- Coaches and advises clients on the craft of writing, the process of getting work published, the creation of necessary marketing and publicity materials, next steps, and so forth.
- Works with book authors on story outlines, synopses, query letters, and the like, as well as brainstorming taglines, titles, cover concepts, etc.
- Interviews, vets, and hires subcontractors for various projects, and reviews subcontractor work prior to delivery to the client.
- Operates the business in all other capacities, including scheduling, contracts, invoicing, financials, quotes, client communication, etc.
Proofreader, 2020 – 2021
- Performed proofreading services on a variety of materials, including single-issue comics, trades, descriptive/cover copy, e-mail blasts, marketing materials, and more.
- Reported to the Supervisor of Proofreading and Standards & Practices.
Freelance Editorial Services, 2012 – 2013
Senior Editor and Editorial Director
- Provided various editorial services, including developmental edits, line edits, and copy edits.
- Liaised with authors and agents about contracted projects, as well as submissions.
- Created back cover copy and brainstormed titles and taglines.
- Acquired projects for multiple imprints.
- Managed titles throughout the editorial and publication process.
- Conceptualized cover design, hired cover artists, and worked directly with the artists and authors to create an author- and publisher-approved cover.
- Created tip sheets and other internal marketing and sales materials for contracted titles.
- Presented upcoming titles to the Macmillan sales force.
Quality Assurance Specialist, 2012 – 2013
- Responsible for ensuring quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of internal business process systems and external consumer-facing products.
- Played an integral role in project conception, requirements gathering, and functionality/usability implementation.
- Wrote and edited requirements documentation, and liaised with business/project lead to ensure needs were being met.
- Created test plans, performed testing, and approved the launch of projects.
- Spearheaded project to rewrite, redesign, edit, and reformat internal systems documentation for systems such as Firebrand Title Management.
Book Country Editorial Coordinator, 2010 – 2012
- Responsible for all editorial aspects of the Book Country site, pre- and post-launch.
- Created copy deck, approved wireframes, and responsible for other tasks necessary for the launch of the online writing community.
- Participated in marketing endeavors, as well as attended conferences such as NYCC on behalf of Book Country.
- Played an integral role in building and designing Book Country’s self-publishing arm, as well as launching the community.
- Read and reviewed member projects in the community, and recommended possible acquisitions to Penguin editors.
- Wrote exclusive industry articles, managed daily discussion boards, and cohosted bi-weekly Twitter chats.
- Communicated directly with members and agents about any and all Book Country matters.
Assistant Editor, 2007 – 2010
- Supported two senior editors, in addition to acquiring personal list and managing Pocket After Dark.
- Coordinated contract proposals, P&Ls, mechanicals, payment-related paperwork, and conducted administrative and editorial work for supervisors, executive editor, editorial director, and editor-in-chief.
- Liaised with all departments to ensure high-quality, on-time publication.
- Presented at positioning meetings and cover conferences.
- Reviewed blues and galleys, and edited cover copy and other marketing/ad-promo materials.
- Created tip sheets, sales bullets, bookseller letters, and audio scripts.
- Tracked and read submissions, and composed rejection letters.
- Developed relationships with agents.
- Maintained relationships with authors and assisted them with all stages of the publishing process.
Wholesale Sales Coordinator, 2006 – 2007
- Supported VP of Sales, Director of Wholesale Sales, and ten sales reps in the US and Canada.
- Created and edited presentations, spreadsheets, and kits for sales meetings.
- Liaised with sales reps, managed rep and client materials, and assigned special title solicitations to sales reps.
- Coordinated in-house conferences and fulfilled sales rep/client requests for information, ARCs, and other samples.
- Maintained and updated client databases.
- Inputted and processed co-op materials and check requisitions.
- Coordinated in-house conferences, as well as the creation of displays and prepacks.
Intern to Bonnie Timmerman, 2005
- Executed script analysis with coverage.
- Gathered and organized production and casting information.
- Performed general clerical duties in addition to tasks such as creating expense reports and scheduling high-profile meetings/premieres.